1. Who were these Normans who conquered England?
2. It gave it French kings and nobles.
3. After the Norman Conquest there were three languages in England: Latin, French and
4. The conquest of England by the Normans began in 1066 with the battle of Hastings, where
the English fought against the Normans.
5. Some men might know all these languages; many knew two; but most of the people knew
6. They were Vikings or 'Norsemen', men from the North.
7. The conquest was complete in 1086.
8. What did the Norman Conquest do to England?
9. The Normans also brought with them the French language
10. Some 150 years before the conquest of England they came to a part of France, opposite
England, a part which we now call Normandy.