Comprehensioncheck. Mark the following statements as True or False.
1. A computer can be defined by its ability to perform different mathematical and logical operations according to a set of instructions.
2. Computers had already been used before WWII.
3. There is no any significant difference between memory and storage.
4. Computer programs and software mean the same.
5. CPU is a part of a computer that controls all other parts of the system.
6. Computers and calculators are very similar devices which are based on the stored program concept.
b) hold store keep perform
c) edit data transmit set up
d) software storage supply memory
e) accept refer input load
f) unit device software equipment
3. Complete the following sentences choosing one out of the variants given.
1. If you don’t back up regularly, you can lose all your … .
a) CPU b) programs c) data d) storage
2. A computer … input, processes and stores data, produces output according to a series of instructions.
a) accepts b) submits c) emerges d) transmits
3. Reports, documents, graphs and pictures can be … to as computer output.
a) performed b) supplied c) transformed d) referred
4. A computer can perform various tasks such as word processing or sending messages that … it from any calculator.
a) set up b) distinguish c) keep track d) mean
5. Memory is the part of a computer where data and instruction are stored … .
a) permanently b) available c) temporarily d) versatile
6. Data is processed in the … according to the instructions that have been loaded into the computer memory.
a) CPU b) variety c) storage d) output
4. Make two-word expressions connected with computing by combining words from two lists: A and B. Then match each expression with the appropriate phrase.
1. A small electronic instrument allowing you to do mathematical functions.
2. A set of instructions understood by a computer and kept in its memory.
3. A piece of equipment, such as a mouse or keyboard.
4. A form of volume in which information can be stored for a long time.
5. The use of a computer to edit, format, store or print a piece of text.
6. Reports, music, documents and pictures produced by a computer.
5. Restore the instructions for switching a computer by matching the beginnings with the endings and put them into the correct order.
1. if a message asks a) for your computer and turn it on.
2. locate the power switch b) desktop to appear.
3. then press the Enter key c) for your user ID or password,
type them in.
4. wait for the Windows d) connected to your computer and turn them on.
5. locate the power switch e) on your computer’s keyboard.
for any devices
6. Fill in the gaps in the text.
A computer is a ___ that accepts input, ___ data, stores data, and produces out put according to a series of stored instructions. Before a computer processes data, it is temporarily held in ___. This data is processed in the ___. The idea of ___ program means that a series of instructions for a computing task can be loaded into a computer’s memory.