Байланысты: Английский язык - Технологии и инновации (1)
1. Write an essay on the topic “The role of science in developing technol- ogies” (150-200 words). In order to write an essay more accurately use the tips from the “Supple-
mentary Reading” (
see the page 78 ).
Unit 3 TECHNOLOGY AND SOCIETY
1. Read the text and complete the sentences using the phrases given below: A) to run machines and cars
F) its poor application
B) keep on rising
G) depend on technology
C) achieve specific goals
H) cause serious threat
D) create relevant technologies
I) impacts the environment
E) without affecting the environ-
ment and society
J) results into negative impacts of
technology on the society
Technology and human life cannot be separated; society has a cyclical
co-dependence on technology. We use technology
(1) … … … … … in our
daily life and our needs and demands for technology
(2) … … … … … .
Humans use technology to travel, to
do business and to live in comfort. However, technology has also caused us
(3) … … … … … has resulted into the pollution of the environment
and it has also
(4) … … … … … to our lives and society. This calls for
proper use of technology. The biggest challenge facing people is to deter-
mine the type of future we need to have and then
(5) … … … … … which
will simplify the way we do things.
It is impossible to explore how each new advanced technology has im-
pacted our lives and how it will impact the future. Technology
(6) … … … … … , people and the society as a whole. The way we use
technology determines if its impacts are positive to the society or negative.
Positive impact. For example, we can use corn to make ethanol and this
ethanol can be used as fuel. Fuel can be used
(7) … … … … … which will
increase on output of manufacturing industries at a lower cost.
Negative impact. However, if we decide to shift large quantities of corn
to fuel production from food production, humans will be left with no food
and this will cause world hunger which even be a worse situation.
Basing on the examples above, technology by its self is not harmful to
the society, but the way society uses technology to