F G 2. Work in groups of two and prepare a dialogue on the one of the follow- ing topics:
Does technology affect our privacy?
Technologies and their impact on children.
How will our society look like in 50 / 70 years?
1. Make a list of both positive and negative impacts of technology on so- ciety and complete the table:
Positive impact Negative impact 1. Technology has improved trans-
1. Increased population
2. Write an essay on the topic “The history of technology” (150-200 words). In order to write essay more accurately use the tips from the “Supplemen-
tary Reading” (
see the page 78 ).
Unit 4 SCIENTIFIC INNOVATION
1. Read the text and complete the sentences using the phrases given be- low: A) to discover practical applications
F) to communicate their discoveries
B) within an existing framework
G) lead to
define normal science
I) applied science
E) patent law
J) in contrast
1. In “The Structure of Scientific Revolutions” (1962), American phi-
losopher and historian Thomas Kuhn made a distinction between what he
and episodes of
scientific revolution. He
(1) … … … … … as the process of solving puzzles within the paradigms
currently established for one’s particular science. For instance, in astrono-
my, it has been believed for centuries that the planets orbited around the
Earth (the geocentric model) and complex models and calculations were